Monday, September 28, 2009

Sad and Stormy Weekend (warning: graphic picture attached)

We had the worst weekend here in the Philippines last weekend.  Typhoon Ondoy, or internationally, it is called Tropical Storm Ketsana demolished most of the Manila Metro Saturday morning.  We had the worst ever recorded rainfall, with a month's worth of water being dumped on us on Saturday morning in 6 hours.  Needless to say, we are all in a state of calamity and was in utmost panic.  I myself had a friend missing, and several of my friends either had close friends pass away, or had/have family missing. 

I donated last night, and prayed for everyone I knew and didn't know, but I feel so guilty that I cannot do more.  I wish I could.  I still wish I can.  I don't know also what to give without starving myself. 

I feel horrible for those who have lost everything they own, some even families.  I cannot even begin to imagine nor would I want to, how I would ever handle that situation. 

And we've gotten news that there are two more typhoons coming our way.  We haven't even finished the rescue operations on this one.  We have yet to make a substantial dent in relief efforts! 

While everyone on Facebook is blaming the government, its officials and those who are using this tragedy as a soapbox on which to spew their platforms for the elections next year, I can't help but wonder what good that debate will do to those who are freezing to death and are so hungry since they've been soaked through in the last 3 days and haven't been able to get to water or food.  I wonder if these people care that others are dying through no fault of their own and there is work to be done which doesn't include lambasting the government.  We all already KNOW who is at fault.  There will be time to kick their butts once we have saved each and everyone one of them, or as MANY as we can.  Until then, KEEP YOUR TRAPS SHUT.

This should never happen again.  I agree with that.  But since it already HAS, we may as well get our hands dirty and make do, help out, and learn from mistakes. 

*sigh*



No comments: