Saturday, October 24, 2009

Old movies :)

There was a John Hughes "festival" at the cinema near me and they were playing "Breakfast Club", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "Pretty In Pink" and "Some Kind Of Wonderful".  I watched the first and the last.  :)


I was then reminded WHY those two particular films resonated so much with me.  The Breakfast Club is because this whole adolescent getting to know yourself thing is just something that interests me.  It was such a weird and fascinating time of my life and pieces of film, or music, or art or books that resonate that feeling that I had back then, trying to find myself or whatever, appeals to me.  The whole, being defined by those who don't know you, or you questioning everything you are, if you really are a jock for example, or a geek, or the popular girl.  Though on the outside these all mean totally different things, how really different are you from everyone else? 


With "Some Kind..."  I just always thought that Eric Stoltz was cute (I have this weird fascination for redheads), Lea Thompson was oh-so-cute, and Mary Stuart Masterson was so damn COOL.  She had 3 earrings in one ear, wore fringed red FINGERLESS gloves, drove a car made by PEARL and played the drums.  She delivered the line "I'd bet my hands on it", which I as a drummer, KNOW the gravity that went behind that statement.  Also, she showed me that being pretty didn't mean being the same as everyone else.  Being cool didn't mean following the crowd.  Being yourself was that was needed and no one could ever touch that, no matter what they said about you.  Or that, when Eric Stoltz's character, Keith, became friends with the school punk, it taught me that you could find help and friends in the weirdest of places, yes, even detention.  Actually BOTH movies taught me that!!!  And it also taught me that that was usually where the cool kids were anyway.  They were cool because, yeah ok, they're punks and they don't give a shit about the rules, but it was more that they would question the rules, that those weren't the end all be all with just a "Coz I said so" as the excuse.  You do something, you fail or you embarrass yourself, or *gasp* you may even succeed.  Instead of kicking one's self for not doing anything, kicking onseself for doing something and being embarrassed because of it.             

"Some Kind Of Wonderful" poster via

And a quick note about "Some Kind..." the girl that Craig Sheffer's character (Hardy...?) cheated on Lea Thompson's character (Amanda Jones) with, the blonde chick?  That's Chynna Phillips.  As in, from Wilson Phillips and who's now Mrs. William Baldwin.  Sorry.  Unnecessary geekness came through.  :) 

Anyway I had a wonderful Saturday today.  I can't wait to stay in and have a great Saturday night.  :)  Hope you all are too, whoever is reading this.  Take it easy!

No comments: